Wednesday 27 November 2013

(R/P) Existing Del Rey Albums

This post is to display a couple of Del Rey's existing albums so that I can get a better understanding of the codes and conventions when it comes to creating my own digipak as one of my ancillary tasks.

 

This first image shows Lana Del Rey's 'The Paradise Edition' album. This was Del Rey's third EP, released on the 9th of November 2012 by Universal Music. The box set pictured above was limited addition and could only be purchased through Universal. It was gold embossed and featured a special digipak of 'Born To Die' The Paradise Edition, a remix album containing remixes of all the singles, four card prints, a 7" picture disc of 'Blue Velvet' and a DVD containing all of Del Rey's videos.

The four cards include symbolic images of Del Rey from previous music videos, such as the powerful image of Del Rey and her evil boyfriend (as seen in the Born To Die video that I analysed previously). The album cover itself is pretty basic, featuring a medium shot of the singer herself, including her iconic red lipstick and usual long, wavy hair that is very relevant to her style and makes her recognisable amongst her fans. Her name is printed in large, bold letters across the top, as though her name is more important than the album name, as the album name is printed in the same type but a lot smaller at the bottom of the cover.

For the Born To Die and Paradise digipaks, the imagery is a lot more abstract and colourful, which are words that can also describe her music videos. For my digipak, I will probably draw more inspiration from these two covers, as I love the abstract side to her music and think the potential to create something beautiful and abstract using different photography techniques is huge.

Furthermore, I really like the water reflection technique used on one of the photo cards, and would like to reenact this myself, although I'm not sure how I'd go about it. I think the overall appearance of the water reflection is really abstract and beautiful, and because I'm wanting to create a semi-abstract piece I think it has the possibility to fit in really nicely.


This second image is features Lana Del Rey's original Born To Die album. This one is just a very simple, basic album as opposed to the above one, featuring just the one disc. The disc itself is very unconventional, although I really like it and find it very aesthetically pleasing and conventional of Del Rey's style. The roses could represent beauty and romance, whereas the red could connote danger and even blood. The medium shot of Del Rey on the cover is very prominent, and shows her looking very strong and determined, which is how she appears in the majority of her music videos. Because of this, I would like to carry a very strong vibe throughout my creations. The colour scheme is quite girly, but uses colours that contrast nicely together so that the songs and the titles stand out.

Throughout all of Del Rey's products, whether that be her album art or her music videos, there is a very colourful, Instagram vibe, which is an element I want to be present in my creations. Pastel colours are also quite prominent throughout her works and they are also very in trend right now, so including these tones could help me adhere to the latest trends and appeal to my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment